Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Teaching

Since the month of September, I have been teaching at a local quilt shop:  Quilting 101, Sewing 101, as well as a couple of sewing workshops. While I've enjoyed teaching every one of these classes, I was really excited a couple a weeks ago when I got to teach a scrappy star quilt class; A class which I have been trying to fill for about a year. 


Many of the customers of this shop are not familiar with my way of working, which is improvisational and a little wonky. My scrappy star quilt and my improvised log cabin quilt (seen below) have been a bit of a hard sell.

The students who took the class, however, were very enthusiastic and really embraced the process and they seemed eager to learn more about improvisational piecing. Here are pictures of some of their work:



A husband and wife team are considering combining their blocks to make one larger quilt.

I look forward to seeing the finished quilts at an upcoming show and tell. 

Feel free to drop in if you live in the area. You'll get to see what the customers are making as well as what the instructors are planning for upcoming classes:











8 comments:

  1. What fun quilts! How can you not love a wonky star. I bet word will spread and you won't have as much trouble filling the next class :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I'm really happy for you. It's one to see each one's variation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're teaching them well, Cinzia! :) Their stars are so cute, and I personally love your wonky star quilt, and your improv log cabin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're all looking fab Cinzia, so exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how wonderful - both in knowing that the class filled and that your students are embracing improv and wonky with such gorgeous results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just been playing in EQ7 with the very same block with scrappy centres :o) LOL Great minds and all that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful blocks! I wish I lived closer! Congratulations on filling your class!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah! It is so fun to teach. Congrats on your contribution to the mag too!

    ReplyDelete