Tuesday, June 5, 2012

'Let's Get Aquainted' Blog Hop

Today is my turn in the blog hop hosted by Beth at Plum and June.  Beth asked us to answer some questions about ourselves in regards to sewing and quilting.


Here's my little story (a warning that  i may sound a little philosophical.  I just get that way sometimes!):


First off, my name is Cinzia, pronounced chintz-ee-ah!

How long have you been sewing/quilting?

Unlike many sewers/quilters that I read about, I did not grow up watching my mother sit by the sewing machine…my mother never did own one, but I always wished that she did!  She did however, teach my sisters and I the basics: how to sew a button, mend, and hem our own pants by hand, and iron a mean shirt!  Which, along with being able to cook a meal and make a bed, I believe are basic domestic skills anyone should learn (male or female).
My sister and I used to make clothes (by hand) for our Barbie dolls from scraps that our aunt gave us or by cutting up old clothing.  other than sewing I always pursued some kind of creative hobby, from drawing to scrapbooking, flower arranging, bookbinding, tole painting and so many more...I have always had a need for a creative outlet.   

Right before I had children, I decided I wanted buy a sewing machine. Never even having tried one before it was just something I thought I should have (read my post about it here). 
I am pretty much self-taught.  I have always been the kind of person who, when I see something I like, instead of saying I’d like to buy that, I’d say ‘let me figure out how to make that’.
I did make a lot of mistakes along the way (A LOT!!).  But that is how I learned my best lessons. I’ve spent a lot of time deciphering what went wrong and unpicking and redoing.


When my son was 1, I decided I want to make him a quilt. Again, I looked to a simple store bought quilt that I owned and tried to figure out how to make it. Of course I did a lot of things ‘wrong’, like buying WAY too much fabric and not knowing I had to hide knots in between layers. I just left them in the back!  But it has held up (my son is now 14) and we still use it everyday. 
I did eventually take a quilting class when my daughter was 1 and my son was 3. I learned to make a twin-sized sampler. It was all made by hand with very traditional blocks. It’s so different from what I am making today!


When I discovered the world of modern quilting a couple of years ago, I was totally hooked! What i like about it is that it allows for so much creative freedom within a medium (sewing) that i enjoy. I don't like to follow patterns so coming up with new designs is what I like best.


Best Sewing/Quilting tip?

Based on everything I’ve learned throughout the years, my best tip to anyone would be “Practice makes better!”. My teenage son thinks it’s a cop-out but I believe otherwise.  I say forget perfection because it doesn’t exist and the pursuit of it can be paralysing. Accept that mistakes will be made and move on from there.  If you enjoy what you are doing you’ll persevere no matter what.

Favorite tool?
As much as I love my sewing machine, I would say my hands are best tool (I wrote a post about that too: see it here).  Just as they are for the musician, the painter, the bread maker, without our hands, our instruments are rendered useless. 
And while we are on the topic of hands, I'll share a link to video tutorial i made on how to use a thimble (see it here).
Please know that I wanted to write up a new tutorial for this post but I am having technical difficulties with my computer and i could not access my pictures!











37 comments:

  1. So nice to meet you! I used to make my own Barbie clothes by hand, too! And then my dad commissioned one of his co-workers to make me five gorgeous, intricate Barbie dresses for Christmas. Man I wish I still had those! I LOVE your pink and yellow crosses quilt, and your quilt tags. Thanks for sharing today! Good luck with your computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I also just picked up a sewing machine and started quilting...and made so many mistakes on the first quilt. Your work is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am exciting to meet you! Awesome tut on the thimble! I have now added you to my reader, lookinh forward to seeing your awesome improv quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you just like to make your own designs - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I never once thought of my hands as a tool :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post :-) It's nice to get to know you a bit better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. I't was fun learning more about you and hoe to correctly pronounce your name! And thanks for the tutorial on using a thimble - I really need to get one - I definitely should have used one when I pieced my hexagons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that; "practice makes better." I gave up on perfect a long time ago! So nice to meet you, Cinzia. You make beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cinzia, I completely agree with you...it's good to keep learning and let perfection fall by the wayside. Absolutely love your plus quilt -- such great colors. Wonderful to meet you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a pleasure to meet you! I am now a follower and look forward to seeing your creations!
    Amy
    Sew Incredibly Crazy

    ReplyDelete
  12. So nice to meet you and to be a part of the same blog hop :) I love working with my hands - the more intricate the better! Love bead work - those teenie tiny beads. Ahh.... Hand sewing on the other hand I struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilts are beautiful! Nice to meet you via the bloghop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cinzia, I am visiting from Plum and June's blog hop, nice to meet you. I enjoyed reading your story and really like the orange and yellow "plus sign" quilt. I hope you work out your computer issues...we all know how frustrating that can be!!

    P.S. Do you mind me asking where you got your labels? They are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh it must have been the day for computer troubles - mine was being very temperamental!

    You have some beautiful quilts - so bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's lovely to meet you, you have made some beautiful quilts! I am becoming a follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved reading this post and getting to know you. :) You have a wonderful eye for color and design. Your quilts are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post. Good to get to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice to meet you. Isn't it fun designing your own quilts? I love your citrus quilt. The little bits of black and white really make it. And the plus quilt is great too. I'm becoming a follower. Hope you'll check out my blog as well. I'm a new blogger still trying to get the swing of it. Lastly, where do you get the cute labels?

    ReplyDelete
  20. So nice to know a bit more about you Cinzia - love your Plus quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice to meet you! I agree about perfection - I'm not perfect so why should I expect my quilts to be!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Cinzia
    I am hopping her from the Plum and June blog hop and now I am your newest Follower.
    Lovely to meet you.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hiya, popping by from the hop, lovely to meet u!x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your plus quilt! I need to make a color wheel quilt soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice to meet you! You have a beautiful name. Your quilts are gorgeous, I love the design and the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like your quote about practice making better. Perfection is great to strive towards but truly expecting to land there (and not quite making it) can be crippling to the creative process I think. It's so nice to learn more about you too! I am coming over from the bloghop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey there, I am a belated reader of the blog hop this week, due to being on holiday until Wednesday, but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and looking at your gorgeous quilts. You have such wonderful, creative designs, I love every one of them. I love the 'wavy' horizontal quilting too; I have a quilt that needs quilting and I had been pondering how to quilt it for some time. I think that is the answer! Lovely to meet you, I look forward to seeing what you come up with next. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Cinzia, I'm stopping over from the Get Acquainted blog hop too :) I love the colours you used in your plus quilt - so summery and gorgeous! (A bit like a tequila sunrise!)

    Tracey
    thepeonyteacup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. You already know im a fan of your quilting-- it was fun to see how you got into it! And up until now I've never used a thimble so I'm glad you posted your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice to have met you! It is nice to have something different to bring to the table. I like the thimble tute!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely post - your plus quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That was a great post. It was fun to read more about you and what makes you tick. There really is nothing like a hand-sewn quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I know I'm a bit late with this, trying to catch up. But thanks for sharing and I like ur blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great colours and designs and smashing tip about the thimble :) ChrissieD (the Blog Hop Late Starter!)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am a fellow Plum and June blog-hopper... catching up... and am happy to find your blog! I like your hand-sewing projects... the sampler you used to teach your friend, the thimble tutorial, etc. That's exactly how I used a thimble and I couldn't hand sew without it! Like you, I love my machine too but there is just something special about hand sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your cross quilt so much!! The colors are fantastic :) Great to meet you and look forward to seeing more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete