Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Dancing in the Wind!

That's what I'm calling this one.

Next up on my list of nieces and nephews to receive a quilt was Sara, who happens to be my Godchild. Sara simply requested that I put some pink in her quilt and left the rest up to me.
In a previous post I shared the beginnings of the quilt:


The design was loosely inspired by this quilt and this one.
I love the freeform improvisational style!

I used pieces from my scrap bins to make the colorful strips. 


I think they look like streamers dancing in the wind. Hence the name. It's fitting for my niece too, as she loves to dance.


The little strip towards the right that is higher than all the others is her. She loved to hear that!

I made the binding with the same fabric I used for the background, but added two colored strips on either side of the quilt.  I tried to make it look like the streamers 'float off the edge'. An idea I got from Katie's 'Anything Goes' quilt (seen here).


I used four different colored threads for the quilting: pink, green, blue, and yellow.


I simply started with one color thread and quilted wavy lines about 2 inches apart. Then I went back and stitched in different colors in between the lines.


I think that the polka dot fabric adds to the festive flair of the quilt.  And Sara loves it, too!

 Six nieces left to sew for!

8 comments:

  1. This is one of the coolest quilts I've seen in a while - I love how simple and beautiful it is! They really do look like they are dancing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the polka dot fabric is my favorite part of this....you did such a great job. the quilting is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the two stripes in the binding. This is really the kind of little details I like. Your niece must be quite happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun quilt! The binding strips are perfect - they make it look like the design bounces right off the edge :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely quilt - love the polka dot fabrics and the colourful strips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I L-O-V-E the polka dot as the background fabric. Nice touch on the binding too!

    ReplyDelete