Once I finished all the squares for the points of the stars (somehow I forgot to take pictures of that process!), I placed everything on my design wall with the center squares in place, too:
At this point, I decided that I didn't like the way the floral fabric looked. So I used the scrap fabrics to build the center squares.
See the difference between the two stars? I think the latter works better. It's gives the star a more cohesive look and it looks less messy. I limited the pieced squares to three fabrics. I tried using more than 3 fabrics but it, too, looked messy.
This little trick helped to speed up the process of cutting my squares to the right dimensions (especially the pieced centers):
I used masking tape to create a 'frame' on my ruler. The tape is placed about 1/8 th of an in. outside the dimensions I needed. In this case, 4 1/2 in. I learned this trick during a workshop I took with quilter Cara Gulati (read about her here).
And here's the pieced top...and back:
I used the floral fabric for the back, because I love it so much. It's a vintage piece I've had for a while. All that's left to do is to quilt it and bind it!