Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A First Doll Quilt

In celebration of the release of the book, Pretty in Patchwork: Doll Quiltsthe folks at SMS are hosting a doll quilt contest.  

Since I was in the mood for a quick project I've decided to play along. And since I am currently enrolled in a scrap busting class  at Courtepointe Claire, I have also challenged myself to use nothing but scraps (the class is called "Vive Les Retailles!" in French)

The inspiration for the design of this quilt came from the following lines borrowed from a song by John Howard Payne:

Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam, 
Be it ever so humble there's no place like home! 


Here is a series of pictures that showcases the process so far:

 I started by auditioning the fabrics for the background (sky and land).

 Then I added the other elements into the landscape:
  Some colors and shapes were switched out for those which better suited the overall design:
 Then I sewed up the different elements into 'blocks':



 And then I sewed the blocks together:
That's it for now!  More to come!
BTW, the class that I am taking is given by quilt artist Dominique Ehrmann. Be sure to visit her gallery of art quilts.  They are beautiful! 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this! What an amazing story of your process, and such a beautiful result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I love your color combinations. It's so soft yet lively. I can wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing your process! Interesting to see what gets to stay and what gets the boot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you showed the process. Its so rare to see how a quilt comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, tolle Seite. Ich suche immer neue Ideen was man aus Patchwork Stoffe Meterware schönes nähen kann. Lieben Gruss

    ReplyDelete