Friday, September 30, 2011

QIP cont'd

I'm back with the next steps for my Scrappy Star Quilt.

Once I finished all the squares for the points of the stars (somehow I forgot to take pictures of that process!), I placed everything on my design wall with the center squares in place, too:
At this point, I decided that I didn't like the way the floral fabric looked.  So I used the scrap fabrics to build the center squares.
See the difference between the two stars? I think the latter works better. It's gives the star a more cohesive look and it looks less messy.  I limited the pieced squares to three fabrics.  I tried using more than 3 fabrics but it, too, looked messy.
This little trick helped to speed up the process of cutting my squares to the right dimensions (especially the pieced centers):
I used masking tape to create a 'frame' on my ruler.  The tape is placed about 1/8 th of an in. outside the dimensions I needed.  In this case, 4 1/2 in.  I learned this trick during a workshop I took with quilter Cara Gulati (read about her here).

And here's the pieced top...
 and back:
I used the floral fabric for the back, because I love it so much. It's a vintage piece I've had for a while.  All that's left to do is to quilt it and bind it! 

1 comment:

  1. Looking great so far! I have to agree with you on your decision about the centers. The scrappy squares do look cleaner and more interesting. I'm excited to see your quilting!

    ReplyDelete